Monday, May 28, 2007

In the Spirit

It’s been a power-packed weekend – filled with activity and much to digest intellectually and spiritually. I attended a two-day seminar on God by Jesuit Adrian Danker who teaches philosophy of religion at Ateneo University in the Philippines. We explored encountering God on the vertical as well as the horizontal axis and locating the point of intersection. I was bombarded with new concepts, novel approaches and perspectives to life. And yet, within the densely rich material, many of my inner convictions were confirmed and affirmed… and I arrived at the conclusion that there is so MUCH MORE to learn.

What an a-ha moment for my fried brain cells. How am I supposed to absorb all this and apply it to life in a way that is coherent to both myself and those around me?

A question. Excellent.

I learned that questions are good for they force us to step back and reflect. Reconstruct and re-frame our understanding of the world around us and what God means in our worlds, our lives. Engage in what St. Anselm calls a faith-seeking understanding, instead of accepting “truths” blindly. In this way, we learn to be open, to listen and recognize the goodness that is in each person around us, while remaining true to our moral compass, retaining the integrity within a constantly evolving individual identity.

Especially appealing was Paul Ricoeur’s first and second naivete. The first naivete is falling in love the first time. The sun shines brighter and bird song sounds sweeter. However, over time, and with familiarity, we become jaded. Rather than choose the downhill slide into boredom or apathy, we can choose to step back and look at things in a new light. Second naivete occurs when we fall in love again with the same person.

This typifies my relationship with the Trinity. I fall in love again each time I step back and reflect, only to discover some fascinating new facet of our relationship. I marvel at how little I know the more I know. I pray I will never lose the mysterium tremendum fascinosum*, mystery awe fascination, that is present in every encounter with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

After feeding the mind, it was time to feed the spirit. So off to the Pentecost rally at Holy Spirit Church where I encountered Fr. Robert Faricy, yet another Jesuit, who has been active in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal since the early days. What a spirited and spirit-full evening. I could almost imagine myself in the upper room with the apostles as tongues of fire appeared on the tops of every head present.

While my human vision will always be flawed, my understanding limited, I can count on the infinite wisdom, and love, of the Spirit to guide me through life.

*Rudolf Otto’s description of a religious encounter with the Holy.

No comments: