Thursday, August 03, 2006

Miracles

I used to think that miracles only happened to other people, and then, only in a big way, like the parting of the Red Sea or someone with fourth stage cancer that suddenly goes into remission. Miracles happening to me, no way.

At our last Woman to Woman core meeting A. shared how her faith was shaped and nourished by her mother's faith - how her Mum would come home every day to share what new miracles happened in her life. Like how the rain would stop until she got to shelter and then would continue. I thought to myself, how true for I have been experiencing mini miracles like that in my life more and more, or should I say I am now able to see the miracles that happen in my life.

Although we are told the God answers even the tiniest prayer, and even takes care of the lilies of the field, it is a truth that is hard to grasp at times. It's not that I don't believe that anything is possible with God, but that I feel my troubles are too trivial to bother Him with or He must be sick of me asking Him for so many things all the time.

The other thing that used to stop me from praying about things that have happened is my concept of time. Until I came to realize that God is out of time, so it's never too late to pray after the fact. The miracle may not be the turning back of time, but the way I am able to understand and react to a particular situation. And how a particular situation can change inexplicably.

So do miracles happen every day - definitely. And by seeking His will in all things and offering up problems or secret sorrows; or making requests as mundane as a desired bus, a safe journey or no rain, I am living out the beatitude of being poor in spirit and relying totally on Him. For everything in my life comes from Him. Another truth I overlook too easily at times.

Yesterday my mother shared with me a story of how a dying woman came back to Christ. When the woman's mother was dying, they asked a priest to come and administer the sacrament of anointing of the sick. The priest never turned up and the mother died without receiving the sacrament. Embittered, the entire family left the Church and turned away from God.

Some 20 years later when the woman was dying, a sister of the woman was prompted to call a priest. The priest came and she shared the story of her mother. It transpired that the priest never arrived for he himself was dying at the same time. This all happened in Kuala Lumpur 20 years ago. The reason why the visiting priest in Singapore could finally give an explanation was because he was assisting the deceased priest in Malaysia then. Although it was not possible to contact the family then, he was able to match the stories now.

Isn't it great how Godincidences shape our lives? And, He is never late but always on time. Most fittingly and beautifully.

No comments: