Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Loving lightly

P is away on a work trip for a week and I have to say I miss him. Even though my days are busy, I actually feel as if there is something off kilter in my life. I tell myself I am being silly for it’s very temporary, but throughout the day I wonder how he’s doing, and whether he’s okay. There is a fear inside I try my best not to acknowledge, that he may not come back to me. So I pray a little more fervently that he is protected from all evil.

All this got me thinking wow, is this what love can do to you? There is this tendency to cling on, and never let go, afraid love will disappear if I but blink. The scarcity principle of fear of loss, rather than want of gain kicked in hard, giving rise to crazy thoughts.

Here is where I hold onto the wise words from Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet:

Let there be spaces in your togetherness. And let the winds of heaven dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it be rather a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

And, of course, 1 John 4:18: There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love.

I am brought back to the One who first loved me, and with Him, love is boundless, abundant, generous and everlasting, and all things good. Love should not give rise to fear.

Have I not experienced (and am still experiencing) His brand of love first-hand? Yes, of course.

Am I not to love in the same way as I have been loved? Yes, I am.

I am also brought back to the truth that we are all pilgrims on the journey in this life and we can look forward to eternal life, especially with those whom we have loved in this life. There is no need to cling too hard onto love. I must hold lightly with contented gratitude. Give praise to the One who blessed me with P, and, finally to trust Him in all things.

So while I will continue to miss P until he comes home, I am reminded to be more loving when he is around, and not to take him for granted. Thank you, Lord, for loving me so much, and giving me so much. I am grateful for all that I have received. Help me to focus on my gains, without allowing fear of loss to detract from my pleasure and gratitude in the here and now.

No comments: