Sunday, January 02, 2022

Crossing into 2022

On the last day of 2021, a friend texted me that she was seriously ill. Just a few days before that, I had attended a funeral service of P’s aunt. So I ended the year on a slightly sad note, yet at the same time, heartened by the faith I see in those who are grieving or in emotional disarray. 



While on a recent walk with M in the Botanic Gardens, whom I had not seen in two years, we spotted a most amazing sight, this thorny bush had mauve and white blossoms  on two of its brown tips. We were delighted by our find. 


This plant pretty much sums up 2021 for me. The year may have seemed pretty barren and full of thorns with the pandemic raging its way around the world in wave after wave; a relentless onslaught of sickness and death, yet it is up to me to be able to see beauty in life, and to perhaps contribute to creating life and light where it seems darkest night, to channel beauty.  


God never gives up on loving us, His children, and we should never give up on loving, first ourselves as He loves us, then loving others as He loves them.


So 2021 has been a year where I have slowly begun a regime of self-care to ensure I am not diminished by physical aches and pains that prevent me from doing what I would like to do. I have reached out and connected with friends whom I have neglected to communicate with in a long while and it has been fun rediscovering friendships. 


I feel that one of my most powerful ways of loving others last year was to pray for them. Precisely because I could not physically be with them or help them in concrete ways, I offered up their intentions in prayer. I also engaged in praying daily for departed loved ones, and especially for holy souls in purgatory, something P has taught me to do.   


Two things I did for mental and spiritual food was to begin two courses in the last quarter of the year concurrently. Journeying with people around the world trying to demystify and apply the nuggets we find in Saint John Paul II’s Love and Responsibility has been life-giving for me. I hope to continue applying what I am learning to enrich my life and the lives of those around me. 


Having recently finished the book of Tobit, what struck me as great advice is something he imparted to his descendants  in chapter 14, verse 9:


Now, my children, I give you this command: serve God sincerely and do what is pleasing in his sight; you must instruct your children to do what is right and to give alms, to be mindful of God and at all times to bless his name sincerely and with all their strength. 


May 2022 be a meaningful year for me, and you, where we do as He says, blessing His name and singing His praises always. 

No comments: