Friday, April 26, 2019

Chasing Jesus

The joyful mysteries have always been a favourite of mine for I am always inspired by how Mother Mary reacts to the challenges of life especially the bizarre (it isn't every day one has a conversation with an angel who tells you do not be afraid then proceeds to reveal something quite terrifying that will happen to you). Most recently I was struck more by the narrative of Jesus as a child right from the very beginning.

J is almost a year old now and it has been gratifying to be able to witness his growth from newborn to a little boy who is now wobbly walking. From an angel-faced infant who slept most of his life into a toddler who makes his wants and desires known quite decidedly J has grown swiftly, bringing lots of joy and laughter. 

The joyful mysteries remind me of how I was present and witnessed his growth from conception to the day he was born into the world, sorta, kinda. J was already a being, a person, just as Jesus was at the Annunciation in his mother's womb, even though I couldn’t see him. I remember what Father Garcia said about potentiality and that is why we Catholics believe contraception and abortion are morally incorrect.

From conception, a healthy embryo left to grow uninterrupted can become a crying baby who in turn grows up into an adult person who brings unique flavour and depth to the world, enriching it. Regardless of whether one can see or hear the foetus, the foetus is a person who has the same rights and dignity that you or I have. 

Mississippi recently passed a bill disallowing abortion when a heartbeat is detected which protects foetuses as young as six-weeks-old. I say good on Mississippi but I would go even further to protect the life of the unborn child - abortion should be disallowed period. There is life when cells multiply and grow, no heartbeat needed there. Therefore no adult has the power to decide whether life in the womb should continue or not, and yet it happens all too often when the child is unwanted due to whatever reason. 

God is the only one who gives life, from conception, to birth, and eventually death. The Annunciation illustrates how life for Jesus began when Mary said yes and she conceived. We need to recognize that conception is God-given and respect the sacredness of life even in the womb.

Again during the Visitation, both John in his mother's womb and Elizabeth herself acknowledged the presence of Jesus in Mary’s womb with joy. There is great mystery in the Visitation for no one else knows Jesus is in His mother’s womb, and yet, those who are given insight are able to see beyond the externals. Pregnancy is a time of celebration, it brings friends and family together where everyone rejoices and anticipates eagerly the arrival of the child.

Jesus and John were both miracle conceptions for neither conception was biologically possible, making them true gifts from God. No wonder there was such jubilation when Elizabeth, Mary, and their respective offspring in the womb met. I enjoy sharing in the collective joy and respective love of these two pregnant women and how they must have felt on meeting each other and celebrating the other’s state of life. Truly special.

The Nativity calls up a hubbub of activity in the humble manger. First a child enters the world. He is then wrapped in swaddling and probably lies sleeping on His mother’s breast while around Him, everyone is exulting at His arrival. Shepherds visit and angels sing, while His parents exhausted, relieved and happy despite the mean surroundings bask in the preciousness of their newborn son.   

It was the same when J was born. He slept on, oblivious to the world around him while people kept visiting him and his overjoyed parents. We celebrated his long awaited and visible presence in the world with great wonder. It is worth remembering that every birth is deserving of jubilant fanfare, and to allow the Christ child to be born in my heart every day, which means giving joy the space in my often busy and beleaguered life to bubble and overflow, as well as never losing the unique sense of wonder J’s arrival stirred within me.

When Mary and Joseph presented baby Jesus at the temple, it marked the public recognition of what was to come, that is, what was the future of this tiny, insignificant baby who would grow up to be the Messiah. The prophetic words of Simeon and Anna must have brought pride and joy to Jesus’ parents as they did sorrow and pain for the couple were told their child’s life would not end well. 

We all know death is certain and most probably will involve pain and suffering. We also know that as believers of Christ, we will have to make hard choices that may invite more suffering into our lives. How will I choose to live my life if I knew how and when I am going to die? How would I choose to teach and influence J if I knew who he would grow up to be? It would be no different for if I choose to follow Jesus who knew how it would all end eventually, I would still choose to be the best person I can be, always seeking to desire the good of the other no matter who the other happened to be, and I would intentionally cultivate the virtues that will enable me to make the right choices all the time as Jesus did. 

I do not seek to know the future, but I do know I can make the decision every day to live in the love and joy of the Lord, and perhaps encourage others around me to do the same as well. Chasing Jesus and not happiness has given me more richness in life than I could have ever imagined so I still maintain that’s the way to go.

Even as a young boy of twelve, Jesus was wise beyond his years (being fully divine and not just fully human). At the Finding in the Temple we are told he engaged in discourse with teachers, astounding those present with His level of understanding. When his parents found Him after three days, He asks them why they did not know He would be about His Father’s business? Both parties seem baffled by the other. Nevertheless, He follows His parents home and submitted to their authority, growing up into a man increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with both God and men (Luke 2:52).  

I have always found this Scripture a little puzzling myself but what strikes me now are two things: His passion and love for His Heavenly Father and His love for His earthly parents as demonstrated by His obedience to them. In the same vein, out of love of her son, Mother Mary kept what she didn’t understand in her heart. 

Having entered a season of life where I sometimes experience the loss of control and hurt, angry bafflement Mary and Joseph must have felt, I am challenged to be more like Jesus in going about my Father’s business by submitting to the rigours of my earthly life. Even if I do not understand what is happening right now I need to keep all these things in my heart as Mary did and not react with angry outbursts and endless tirades that leave me ashamed, insecure and ugly. I need to put on the mantle of prayer to receive the wisdom and stature Jesus did through obedience. Hopefully in time I will find more favour with both God and people, inspiring those whom I wish most, like J.

No comments: