Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Roman holiday

After Malta, I effectively spent four days in Rome with three full days of sightseeing. As I had never been to Rome I was excited and much looking forward to it. I was not disappointed. The churches were incredibly beautiful and the saints were thrillingly inspiring. The cherry on the cake would've been to attend a Wednesday audience with Pope Francis but he was busy wowing Cuba and America. Such is life.

A took such good care of us (I had a different beer to try every night) and we were so blessed by God's generosity that I had the most amazing, albeit exhausting, vacation.

So what is God saying to me in this Roman holiday (E's favourite question)? There are a couple of things, chief among which is He is truly my soul and sole provider, no one else could love me as unconditionally and generously.

I have awesome sisters in community, sisters who are a joy to hang out with, and who inspire me with their deep and radical love for Jesus. The fellowship has been delightful, thank you, A and A, and thank you Father Francis for making Assisi so special, a mini pilgrimage of sorts.

Life will not be without its sacrifices, struggles and tragedies (as evidenced through the lives of countless saints), and yet, it can be achingly beautiful, joyously sacred and  overwhelmingly good. So I just have to keep leaning on Him and His grace.


It was short, intense and just perfect.
Sunny skies with a touch of rain
Roma rich coffee and luscious gelatos.
We traipsed all over the city, Ams and I
Oohing and aahing at the glorious architecture
Of basilicas, catacombs and the Vatican...
The saints were our best friends
Whom we visited with eagerness:
Saints Peter and Paul, Catherine, Sebastian
and John Paul II, please pray for us!
Not forgetting Clare and Francis in Assisi.
The wood of the manger, the nails of the cross,
Holy steps, Spanish steps, the footprints of Christ,
Quo vadis Domine?
There was the Pantheon, the Coliseum, the Trevi
A race by the Circus Maximus before we got lost
In the beauty of the Trinity on the hill,
Plus all three levels of Santa Maria Maggiore.
We gatecrashed mass in Saint John Lateran
Saluted the empty balcony in Saint Peter's Square
Took a selfie with the Holy Door ahead of time
We ate, prayed, and had a lovely time,
Filled with laughter and l'amore di Dio
What was the highlight, friends want to know?
It was the silent, still pauses in between.

No comments: