Monday, February 10, 2014

Revelation and mission

When I think of evangelization, it gives me sweaty palms.  I have never been any good at selling anything. I am not glib of tongue and I cannot think on my feet. Worse, I am also a squeamish cradle Catholic who is reticent about sharing the Gospel. Quite un-missionary-like.

So what Saint Paul, a fiery evangelist, said to the Corinthians (first letter, chapter 2, verses 1-5) is encouraging for he professes to weakness, fear and trembling and admits that he has no persuasive words of wisdom, only words that are a demonstration of the Spirit and power.

Yesterday, Maria Vadia echoed Paul's words as she spoke to those who attended her afternoon sharing at the Church of Saint Francis Xavier.

She first stressed that evangelization is not a programme but a lifestyle. Therefore we must repent, that is make a change in how we live, and step out of our comfort zone. This change involves loving people enough to want to share the Good News.

Loving people is the kicker. How do I love those who are difficult to love? People who are mean, negative and openly hostile, derisive of my every overture. Two words: Holy Spirit.

If, in the desire to bring people to Jesus, I listen closely to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and I am faithful in carrying them out, then I will be able to carry out the mission of evangelization. A mission woven into the spiritual DNA of every Christian, Catholics included.

It is not about having the right skills or qualifications, what Saint Paul calls oratory or philosophy, but the right attitude. If I am docile to the Holy Spirit who lives within me, then I will be given the key to open a person's heart towards receiving Christ.

The revelatory Spirit will guide me, enabling me to breach the unloveable and unwelcome façade to see, and love, the person within.

Maria shared the story of Christine, a woman who shunned all efforts to reach out to her. Christine lived in Genesis House, a home for the homeless with AIDS. She was surly and uncommunicative, and turned her nose up at the food Maria brought on her regular visits.

At her wits' end, Maria implored, God, help me! She received a vision: a MacDonald's double cheeseburger with a large order of fries. When she offered this to Christine, she saw the first smile she had ever seen on Christine's face and consequently, this food offering was the opening Maria had sought hard to share Jesus with Christine and bring her to Christ.

Evangelization is about giving others what we already have. We must therefore have the heart of God, something we can find only in and through Jesus. Hence an intimate, living relationship with Jesus is necessary. And through this relationship, we get acquainted with the Holy Spirit, who allows the power of God to be manifested.

Maria calls the gift of tongues, our personal love language with God. It helps us connect to God in a visceral and mystical way that bypasses our intellect for it is a heart language. In using our heart language, we can become powerful conduits of grace, bringing divine 
insights and supernatural healing to others for we allow the Holy Spirit to do His thing, work His magic.

She encouraged us to claim the gifts of the Spirit, especially that of tongues. When we exercise our spiritual gifts, we co-partner the Holy Spirit so that everywhere we go, opportunities by divine appointment (much like how Philip met the Ethiopian eunuch in the wilderness) abound. We become gifted people (read 1 Corinthians chapter 12), inside and out, personifying love in action.

Maria demonstrated the power of the Holy Spirit by doing what she exhorted us to do and it was amazing to see the many healings and the number of people who received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues.

Yesterday, I went with an open heart to receive, and I did. I was reminded of how much I was loved, and my prayer on how I was supposed to share the Good News was answered.

Stop thinking or analyzing so much. Stop feeling unworthy, not up to task, for I will never be up to the task. Just say yes and move in the Spirit (that means pray unceasingly), and God will do the rest.

I need only to listen well to receive His revelations and then act on them to carry out God's mission of love to all, as Jesus did.

No comments: