Thursday, January 23, 2014

Giving advice

P sent me a link* to an article on what advice a collection of CNN staffers in their 50s would give to their 30-year-old selves. The article was triggered by Michelle Obama turning 50.

I had to agree when I read what Carol Costello said about how recognizing women turning 50 was a tad sexist. Why is it the dreaded 50 or the abhorred 40? Why is reaching a new decade such a fĂȘted yet traumatic experience for a woman?

Worse, if you still look good, everybody oohs and aahs as if it were a minor miracle. Again, what truly matters is how you look inside and how comfortable you are in your own skin (if you aren't by now, something is seriously wrong and should be addressed, pronto).

Yes, birthdays are milestones and great for taking stock of life, but a number does not dictate how one should behave, or signify that life, as you know it, is over. That seems to be the case for women, sadly, especially if they are single.

From some of the comments I am getting now, one would think I will soon be up for a root canal. While getting older has its minuses, I hate the loss of memory, the reduced energy and the inflexible, groaning muscles, I would not want to be 30 again.

When I think back to what I was like at 30, I had no idea where I was headed; I was stuck in a dead end job and completely dissatisfied with life - pretty much a walking disaster. I could certainly have done with some good advice. So this is what I would say to the 30-year-old me.

The perfect man you are looking for is right before your eyes: Jesus. He is the only man you can trust completely for He loves you totally, faithfully and unconditionally. Look to Him. Forget the rest. He's the keeper.

Follow your heart and dare to dream big. You only live once, there are no dress rehearsals in life so, go for it. Don't let your fears and insecurities stop you. God has great plans for you, but it's up to you to make them happen.

Your faith is the most beautiful and valuable thing your forefathers have bestowed on you. Treasure it and live it out fully. And when you stumble, don't be afraid to turn back immediately, God is the God of second chances. He has already forgiven you your sins, so forgive yourself, repent and return. Don't waste time wallowing in guilt or regret. He's already waiting, with open arms.

* For a good read: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/17/living/advice-at-50/

No comments: