Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Body good

I have been abusing my body with insufficient sleep and a general lack of care due to work and pure indulgence, and it has been biting back. Seriously.
 
Here I was, wondering how a friend could be pre-diabetic and not take full and immediate action to reverse this potentially serious condition when she still could, when I was equally guilty of gross neglect.
 
What is it that drives people to feed our bodies with junk, treat our bodies shabbily with no exercise and very little sleep, then pump our bodies with loads of chemicals to relieve us of the symptoms that actually tell us all is not well within?
 
Convenience and stress are the twin evils of modern living. We often take the path of least resistance to obtaining "good" health it by popping pills.
 
We go on fad diets to lose weight and we are content to lose the mobility of our limbs as long as we look good - who cares how we feel inside?
 
Even pain does not motivate a change for there is always a pill to handle the pain.
 
Fortunately, vanity and an abhorrence of medication are my aides. Hence, I have begun to be more selective with what I put in my body. I even sleep earlier and I have begun to exercise regularly.
 
It is not as if taking care of my health is rocket science, but finding the willpower to do the necessary is often the biggest obstacle. It took feeling like a 102 before I decided to be more responsible for me and my body.
 
In the Catechism of the Catholic Church, it states: 

The human body shares in the dignity of "the image of God": it is a human body precisely because it is animated by a spiritual soul, and it is the whole human person that is intended to become, in the body of Christ, a temple of the Spirit.

Man, though made of body and soul, is a unity. Through his very bodily condition he sums up in himself the elements of the material world. Through him they are thus brought to their highest perfection and can raise their voice in praise freely given to the Creator. For this reason man may not despise his bodily life. Rather he is obliged to regard his body as good and to hold it in honor since God has created it and will raise it up on the last day.

My body and my soul are one, inseparable. If I wish to praise and reverence God to the best of my ability, then I am obliged to honour my body and keep it in the pink of health.
 
Time to stretch and get ready for bed.

No comments: