Friday, December 07, 2012

Seeing clearly

I read with interest an article on contextual theology in which the search for God has its starting point is life's realities; where God is found in our daily lives. So because He is in me and my context, my history, He is real, tangible in my life, not some abstract, distant concept.

One writer described it succinctly in the words of Saint Anselm's motto, "faith seeking understanding". That through faith, we come to a deeper understanding of God.

When I began to read chapter 13 of Margaret Silf's Landmarks, it all fell into place for the Second Week of Saint Ignatius's Spiritual Exercises is precisely about this, where in prayer, we "become participants in the events and teachings of his earthly life and ministry".

We begin to see God more clearly only when we cultivate an intimate relationship with Him by listening, disclosing, sharing, reflecting and giving; letting Him participate in our daily lives.

By using imaginative prayer, we can situate ourselves in Scripture and find God in the events of our lives even if there does not seem to be a direct correlation at first. When we allow ourselves to look at life through God's eyes, we find Jesus walks with us as He did over 2,000 years ago when He actually walked on this earth.

This living relationship with Jesus is one relationship that can be cultivated and nourished even for tiny tots, as I discovered when I attended my first course of Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, CGS, last week.

I was astounded by how the pedagogy of Maria Montessori, when applied to catechizing children had such a powerful effect, thanks to the dual efforts of Sofia Cavalletti and Gianna Gobbi, co-founders of CGS. The Bible, Creation, Liturgy, Sacraments, all these came vividly alive as we walked through the presentations over the week.

It is, for me, a fitting way to end the year, to be reminded that a child can grasp and synthesize truths that an adult loss of innocence distrusts and denies. That if I want to enter the kingdom of heaven I must be like a child, with a humble and unwavering faith in the Good Shepherd.

Who is this child, this special child who will be born in our midst? It is a question I will ponder on this Advent season and I hope to see Him more clearly as I prepare my heart to welcome Him.

No comments: