Saturday, June 09, 2012

Faith story

We are doing Margaret Silf's Landmarks this year and the book is like an old friend we are re-visiting. In one of the initial exercises we are encouraged to examine our river of life or our own faith story. To trace our inner journey through the outer events of our life and to be able to see how God touches our life, through people and events.

The ability to shed hope on the circumstances of our life, both good and bad, is possible when we allow the light of God's love to touch our heart. For it is only when we open our heart and trust in His love that we are able to transcend all the evil in our life and make the transformative leap into forging a future filled with inner peace and joy.

This is my faith story.














I
When you sat in silent empathy as I shared
My broken dreams and shameful past
I was fearful my sins were too many
and too sordid to be forgiven
I could not forgive myself mainly
For my monumental stupidity
That was repeated endlessly
But you did not judge.
Emanating instead waves of healing love
Enfolding me in a chrysalis of womb-like warmth.
As I saw that first chink of light breaking through
My self-imposed tomb, I was floored
By the miracle of the metamorphosis I was undergoing.
I now have wings, I can fly!
All because you placed your undying faith in me.

II
I am deeply thankful for all
That has ever happened in my life
Every loss, every suffering,
every indignity, every abuse,
For gratitude allows me to advance beyond
My instinct to remain stuck in anger and despair,
Chained to the bitter past, a cripple for life.
Gratitude keeps me humble, 
Makes me glad to be alive
To exact the best revenge of forgiveness
Absolution of those who have sinned against me
And even caused me to sin unknowingly.
Lately, happiness has been my reward,
As I regain the original innocence of my youth
The joyous wonder of my sacramental self.

III
There were eleven teams of oxen ahead
Ploughing straight for True North
I pause, out of fear, for I am not sure
If I have the gumption to go where they are.
Each furrow is formed in buckets of sweat and tears
Plus a heart filled with ultra steadfast courage.
To be a prophet one has to have
A hide thick enough to withstand
All forms of calumny and persecution fierce.
If they can do it, against daunting odds, perhaps I can, too.
As I stand on the shoulders of giants,
The communion of saints, dead and alive,
People who staked their lives on a Triune rock foundation,
I will glorify the One who was, is now and ever shall be
Eleven teams of oxen plod sturdily on
Beacons of hope and inspiration
Bringing love and renewing the faith of the world
Let me go where they go, journey in their footsteps,
Shod in the gospel of peace and truth.

No comments: