Saturday, May 05, 2012

Exiles on the way home

Yesterday evening E and I had a drink together, commiserating on how growing old can be pretty grim and a potentially lonely, painful journey. So it was natural to wonder what will happen to each of us when we single women grow old? Who will look after me? Will I die lonely and sad?

The way I deal with that eventual future is to not think too much about it and to leave it in God's hands for I truly believe He will provide. Plus, it is best to focus on what I should be doing today for I don't even do a very good job with the present. 

As Father Arro brought up in a recent Easter homily, we are an agitated people, like the disciples in the upper room, full of fears and anxiety and the best remedy is to meditate on the goodness of God. To rise up and meet Jesus; hear him say, "Do not be afraid," and to live in His smiles, the God-incidences of life. I am always amazed at how things that I worry about turn out fine even if it is not the way I would have imagined or wanted.

It is 50 years since Vatican II, an Ecumenical Council which brought about a change in how the Church saw her role in the modern world and attending a talk on it last week brought me fresh insights on how I should be living my life.


The heart of Vatican II lay in aggiornamento which is a movement to bring things up to date with a spirit of change and open-mindedness through ressourcement, a return to the source; to the traditions and symbols of the early Church. A study of history to effect change for the better.

I find this hearkening to the past a great way to move forward for learning more about my religious heritage arms me with a clarified faith that bodes well for the future, as does drawing lessons from my own past.

Reading Lumen Gentium, Light of the Nations, as recommended by Arthur Goh for Catholics who want to know what we profess faith in (out of the 16 Vatican II documents) has been inspiring.

Besides reminding us that God is mystery and that we are all called to union, a personal relationship with this invisible God through the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, the document reminds us that we are pilgrims on the way, exiles whose true home lies beyond this realm.

Although we have to live with mystery, we have been gifted with the Holy Spirit and thus our faith grants us wisdom to answer the call to holiness (to be who we are), and to live in this temporary home with grace and dignity.

While it is instinctive to seek permanence in life and to fear change as detrimental, especially the changes wrought by growing older, if I view my current life as an opportunity to bring me closer to the Kingdom of Heaven, then I can aspire to do as Saint Therese of Lisieux did, "to spend my heaven doing good on earth", and I will not fear what lies ahead.

As for the pain, loss, suffering and loneliness that is to come, it too will pass, and home awaits.

No comments: