Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Clean hands, pure heart

I have a theme song for Lent. Give Us Clean Hands written by Charlie Hall.

It is not a new song but I was recently taught how to sing it and the lyrics just resound with me for it is taken from one of my favourite psalms - Psalm 24 - and it encourages us to live out the principles of TOB*, that is, sacramentality of the body.

The song also brings me to the heart of Lent, to remember who I am, how I came to be and what I should be doing. To be humble and singular in focus.

We discussed solitude last Friday and how, through it, we have all experienced incredible intimacy with Jesus, and yet, we are so easily distracted as to not make the extra effort to seek the goodness of this love in solitude. Why?

It's like knowing what is good for me and yet not doing it, and then moaning to myself about how blah I feel and wishing I could do something about it. Kinda dumb, but there you have it, so typically human.

Thus this Lent I hope to make that extra effort and hopefully be rewarded for my discipline by experiencing spiritual renewal.

Clean hands, pure heart.

There's nothing more pleasurable than being fresh and clean after a shower, especially in hot and humid Singapore where being sticky and stinky is pretty much the prevailing condition by day's end (you just have to travel by train at 6:30pm to know what I mean).

Cleanliness is truly next to godliness for being clean lets me feel good in my body.

As for purity of heart, may Jesus be my soap and the Holy Spirit my water.

*Theology of the Body

No comments: