Sunday, December 05, 2010

Eucharistic peace

The second Advent candle lit today symbolizes peace. Faced as we are with not just the threats of war or civil unrest around the world, but also disharmony within families, is world peace ever attainable?

Isaiah talks about the wolf and the lamb living together, the lion with the calf - possible only if we let a little child lead us. While Paul echoes this in his letter to the Romans - if indeed we follow Scripture and live as Jesus did, then we can hope to see the peace of Christ in our communities and our lifetimes.

In attempting to bring about peace, we are called to be radical, like John the Baptist. As Fr. Arro pointed out in his homily today, we must not give in to the darkness but instead we must be the light shining in the darkness, illuminating the way and transforming people's lives.

I started the morning saying to God, are you kidding? It is too monumental, an uphill battle all the way and I am not confident I have it in me to be a peace-maker, or a hope-spreader, for that matter.

Could I "let peace begin with me"? (There was something I needed to do today and I was quite apprehensive about it.)

The word Eucharist comes from the Greek word eucharistia which means thanksgiving and in many ways lately, I have been reminded of the power of the Eucharist, the most recent being Pope Benedict XVI's Apostolic Exhortation Sacramentum Caritatis, the Sacrament of Charity.

The Eucharist is the "source and summit" of life and the "food of truth", if we recognize it as such. For the sacrifice of Jesus was no small one; through it, good has triumphed over evil. The battle has been won.

These are truths we are all familiar with but do we believe them and do we act as people who are in touch with these truths?

To bolster my confidence, I went to the adoration room and spent some time with Jesus before mass.

I sat, at first, in self-doubt, surrounded by my fears, but as I began to offer up my emotions and insecurities, a sense of peace stole over me.

In acknowledging my own limitations and shortcomings and inviting the Spirit of Jesus to take over, my heart grew calm and I knew that I only had to rely on God's wisdom and all would be well. And it was.

I am amazed at how things unfolded this afternoon and I can really see that wisdom is, as interpreted in the Bible, to know God and to do what He wants.

While the fractured world around me will not become whole overnight, I know that I can make a difference, insignificant as it may be, and I should not be afraid to try.

As I journey further into the second week of expectant waiting, I am hopeful that I can see justice "flourish and peace till the moon fails" if I rely on the gift of the Eucharist to lead me.

A precious gift I am eternally thankful for.  

No comments: