Saturday, October 31, 2009

You and I

When you lost your voice, I lost mine, too.
I couldn't say to you how much I loved you,
Even though I knew you would be leaving me shortly.
Unable to span those years of broken communication,
Of love twisted into anger and fear,
Brittle and fragile, weighing down my heart.
When you left, my unexpressed words turned inward,
Sucked into a void wintry, dense and abyssal,
A black hole of regret, making me sick, body and soul.
When I entered the darkness today,
You whispered to me that you heard me, 
Every day, in all the ways,
I sought to express how I felt 
As I wiped your face with Veronica's hands,
And washed your feet as our Servant Lord did.
Every act of love became a benediction,
An "I love you" wrapped in secret sorrow.
You listened, you understood and you knew.
While the truth shines a light that reconciles my being
It doesn't change the fact that I still mourn your leaving.

No comments: