Sunday, August 26, 2007

Magnificat woman

I was sharing with my SD today the many blessings I received when I was on vacation.

How things I desired years ago and never thought possible came to fruition, in ways I never expected. Now when I look back at things in totality, I marvel even more.

Fr. A. reminded me that “the Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is His name” as he encouraged me to be a Magnificat* woman.

While much of the Magnificat is a paraphrasing of prayers found in the Old Testament, it is extremely significant contextually.

At a very dark moment in her life, the young Mary is affirmed by her loving cousin and she is able to utter such a beautiful song of her deep and constant faith – truly she was full of grace, as the angel Gabriel proclaimed.

The joy of these two women of faith sharing and bonding through the miracles God has wrought in their lives is moving and certainly worth emulating.

I can only pray that “my soul magnifies the Lord” to all I meet every day.

* Luke 1:46-56 Mary’s song (canticle) of praise in response to her cousin Elizabeth’s greeting when they meet.

No comments: