Sunday, July 29, 2007

Fruit-bearing folk

“Don’t swallow the seeds, they are bad for you,” admonished the grown-ups when I was a fruit-munching five year old. “Why?” “Because they’ll start to grow inside you,” they replied.

Wow, you mean an orange or apple tree would grow out of the top of my head and I could pick the fruit off the tree whenever I wanted, wherever I was, and eat them? I was thrilled.

So I kept swallowing the seeds that were small enough, waiting for them to sprout... those I didn’t swallow I would plant in the earth, willing them to new life.

Today when Monsignor Vaz gave a discourse on John 15’s powerful vine imagery at St. Teresa’s Parish Retreat, I was reminded of my childhood fascination with growing things.

We are all called to be fruit-bearing – that would be the sign and binding force that we made our home in the Lord, our true vine.

So that through our obedience, as we remained in His word, we would be pruned, made pure, to bear even more fruit.

The bounty would also prove that we are His disciples. Not the fact that we are baptised, or through our varied declarations of faith.

As a consequence, we would be able to experience complete joy as we ourselves bring joy to Him and to those around us

Mgr. Vaz challenged us. Are we people of joy or are we ruled by other things in our lives?

The idea of obedience is not an appealing one, especially when it seems to get in the way of pleasure and our idea freedom. And so we assert our individual will.

As I have found out after years of stubborn experimentation, being disobedient did bring pleasure, but it also brought with it a sickness of the heart and soul.

I felt blighted. I sought and did not find joy. Instead, I kept chasing after highs that dissipated quickly like wood-smoke, leaving my lungs burning from the lack of oxygen. I was constantly on the run, escaping from my personal demons.

What can be the meaning of my life when I was so full of angst, a prisoner of fears and a slave to my addictions?

It was only when I learned to remain in His love that I was able to consign all the diseased and withered parts of me to the fire.

Obedience set me free of fears, distortions and addictions. I was pruned, cleansed and made new - aglow with an inner tranquility.

Sure, it’s sometimes hard to do the right thing, especially when the wrong thing is so appealing. But the joy of abiding in Him is immeasurable and indescribable.

It is something so deep and mystical that you need to experience it for yourself before you can comprehend what I am saying (if you don't).

What's more, once you’ve experienced it, you won’t ever want to go back to scrounging around for scraps of transient happiness.

The mini me is delighted to discover that the seeds she planted so long ago within and without herself have actually bore fruit.

And I am inspired to continue on the journey to “go and bear fruit, fruit that will last”.

No comments: