Sunday, March 12, 2023

Lent as He wills

I began my Lenten season, quite well, I thought, managing to pen daily reflections even while I was on vacation. Quite pleased with myself, really. Then, I came home, and that put paid to my plan. Humbling. Yet, I have learnt not to struggle so much when things don’t go my way, mainly because I am too shattered to muster up the necessary energy to be upset. I am just grateful that my prayer life didn’t sustain too much damage. In fact, given all that has been happening, I probably prayed even more, which is a very good thing. 


My plate of things to do seems overflowing, and I wondered if it was because I suffered from an inability to say no. At the same time, everything I did seemed quite important, so maybe I am okay, except the price is a frazzled, exhausted me. Then I remembered my previous Lent was similar. Just so many people to meet, places to go, no time to stop and breathe. A fast from just doing nothing, and vegging out in front of the telly, big time. 


So Lent is, for me, a time to be with others, to connect, to share life, and to listen; to allow others the space to be themselves, and to, perhaps, gently nudge them forward to embrace the Good News. My desire is that, at the end of each meeting, the person I am with, experiences the love of Jesus, and therefore experiences a transformative joy, and hope. I want to leave them feeling good about themselves. 


I have always had a passion to see women, and children, empowered and free from the shackles of their own fears. Like the Samaritan woman in today’s gospel, I was given a second chance to live my life with renewed meaning: to walk in God’s Spirit and truth, and it has been a wonderful redemptive journey, thus far. At the same time, I also know, I am called to bring others, as she did, to meet Jesus, just as I met Him at the well all those years ago. 


Being open to letting His Spirit lead me means going places and meeting people. I am very clear of my vocation in life, and I try not to lose sight of the many facets of it. Yes, it can be draining, and it will always be challenging, but if I allow the spring of living water to well up within me, then I will always be buoyed by grace, never thirsty for long, and aware of how much my Saviour, my Bridegroom, feeds me life-giving water. 

No comments: