Monday, April 04, 2016

Easter signs and wonders

Talking to a couple of friends I was reminded that one can have everything, all the outward and material trappings, and yet still feel hollow and miserable. One can be liked and loved for who one is and yet not experience happiness because one feels fake, having no sense of identity or self-worth, and is therefore utterly lost.

I am at a loss at how I can help my friends, for they do not seem to want to do anything constructive. Perhaps they lack the inner resources to begin clawing their way out of darkness. I empathize for I was once like them. I can only be there for them, and let God do the rest, as He did with me.

Yesterday Father Valerian spoke about the importance of community, of being a part of a community of believers, for it is only with the help of others, others who believe in the power of love and who hope in the impossible beauty of the resurrection that we can move beyond doubt, fear and the limitations we place upon ourselves.

He asked if we had personalized the resurrection story, and encountered God's love up close, for if we had not, then we would remain as Thomas was, doubting and unsure of how God can move mountains in our lives. Our faith would not be able to grow for we would constantly refuse to see how much He loves us and we would not allow Him or His mercy to transform our lives.

Even as I journey with my friends, I realize that Jesus is asking the same of me, to take my faith to the next level, to get uncomfortably up close and personal, and expose my deepest desires to the resurrection story. I have to die to my self consciousness, my shame and my self-preserving fear; jump off the deep end, diving into the unknown with a humble, trusting and open heart.

Suddenly, Lent became a much less challenging proposition in comparison, and I find myself struggling to be a worthy Easter person. I am looking at Easter with different eyes. I don't like it as much as I used to... Why, Lord, can it not just be about rejoicing and feasting? Why must I participate fully in Easter by dying and resurrecting with you?

The Easter readings are filled with instances of physical manifestations of the resurrected Christ whom His followers do not recognize initially. There are stories of robust faith only after a conversion of mind and heart, à la Thomas. Scripture reveals a time of confusion, chaos, and challenge, but also speaks loudly of God's divine mercy: a time of many signs and wonders, of how putting one's self in the path of Peter's shadow could effect healing.

A large number of people from the towns in the vicinity of Jerusalem also gathered, bringing the sick and those disturbed by unclean spirits, and they were all cured.   
                                                                                                         Acts 5:16

The invitation of Easter is to live radically, on fire; to cast off the shackles of a constricting and deadly mindset, and adopt a whole new way of life, one that embodies a powerful, unitive love found in the resurrected person of Jesus.

Such radicality requires the support of friends and community. On our own, we can accomplish little. As I continue to lend support to my wounded friends, I rely on mine to help bring me to the side of the road where I can wait with expectant faith for the signs and wonders of Easter. Link hands and join in.

No comments: