Monday, May 04, 2015

Getting rid of dead wood

When I was growing up, an aunt of mine would pronounce that because I was Cancerian, I was moody. At seven or eight, when an adult speaks, you presume it is the truth, so I was a moody, difficult and bad-tempered child instead of the shy, reserved and sensitive child I really was.   

The negative labels of my childhood still exist, much to my consternation. Moody, difficult, prickly - a personality only a mother would love (thank God she does). This is how I imagine others perceive me and therefore I proceed to behave accordingly, painting myself into a self-fulfilling prophetic corner when what I really want is to behave in the opposite manner. Inside I am moaning I am really not like this, I am actually quite funny, cheerful, and I can be considerate and flexible.

I know I will never completely outgrow my distortions and quirks, but I can try letting go of these negative labels for they are a poor reflection of who I am, so why let them control my behaviour?    

Last Sunday’s Gospel from John, chapter 15, encourages me to allow the Vinedresser to prune all the dead, fruitless branches of my being so that I can be more fruitful. I used to focus only on losing my faults and weaknesses but I now realize that these negative labels still emblazoned on my person need to be cut off as well.  

I like what Father Arro said in his homily. In order to be a growing branch of the true vine, I must live eagerly and the way to do it is to be in communion with others. This means interacting with people, putting myself into situations which may not be comfortable but will make a positive difference (especially for me when I challenge my distortions). To love people for who they are, even the ones who do not deserve it or who make me want to retreat is tough. But that’s what Jesus did. And He is the vine of which I am a branch.

Remain in me, as I also remain in you. This call to mindfulness is fundamental to growing in a wholesome and fruitful manner as disciple. If I keep my being centred on Christ, then my actions will be motivated by Him and I will not be handicapped by my less admirable inclinations or the childish need to be accepted. Pruning away the dead wood can be a painful and tedious process at times, but the results after speak for themselves.

I can talk and walk with integrity and others will feel loved and inspired by me. I can even be like the disciples of old, confident and bold in God's Spirit. I will grow in holiness and contribute much in building God’s kingdom of mercy and joy.

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

This is the promise that gives me the most hope for it tells me I can excise the negative labels of my childhood, plus, I get to do great things glorifying the Father’s name.

You can do it, too. Just remain in Him.  

No comments: