Friday, February 20, 2015

Vacation blues

Life is not perfect so why would I expect things to be perfect on vacation for that would be going against the laws of the nature, no? And yet, I do expect perfection, especially because I want it all to be perfect for my mother. Despite this rather unrealistic bent that only serves to increase my stress levels, I am enjoying myself on vacation in beautiful Bohol.

We happened upon live music on our first evening here and enjoyed an evening of song with a delicious fish kinilaw (close cousin to ceviche). The next day we had a slow, lazy day with the opportunity to meet up with friends and spent an afternoon by the beach. Thanks, R, for your warm hospitality. It was a spectacular day.

It has all been really smooth from flying into Cebu (we got upgraded to a suite for our overnight stay which was excellent) and getting into Bohol, and we had a couple of relaxing days. Until yesterday.

We hired a boat to take us to Balicasag island. First, the boatman crammed 12 of us into his tiny craft which I have no issue with for he needs to make a living. What was not cool was he did not show up at the appointed time and despite texting me he was on the way, he still did not appear three hours later, at which point I thought it best to make alternative plans to get back into Panglao.

While it was unpleasant waiting and wondering if the boatman would show up and we didn't order lunch for fear he would show up while we were waiting for our food, we had a scenic view from the restaurant. Although anxiety lessened the pleasure I received from watching the variable weather turn the water from smoky to azure to turquoise and aquamarine and back, I enjoyed my time in Balicasag. The snorkelling was great and the people at the resort were friendly and very helpful.

In times of trouble God sends angels and our angel was the receptionist who helped us get onto a boat that was taking some guests ashore at half the price of a private boat. It was an infinitely more comfortable ride in as we headed for Panglao beach and tthe many gorgeous shades of blue and green the water transformed into minute by minute was a sight to behold.

The other gift was the unique approach into Panglao beach versus our morning launch from Alona beach. The shallowness of the sea meant slow and sometimes manual navigation inland and there was time to fully drink in the beauty that surrounded me.  We finally had to wade through the water to get onto the pier before taking a motor bike ride back to Alona. It was good fun for me (made me miss my diving days) and I think my soon-to-be 82-year-old mother embraced the adventure as well.

My insight from yesterday is when something bad happens, God always has a better way forward. Plus, when I surrender control to Jesus, I am less anxious and more open to the new alternatives constantly opening up. I am also more able to live in the beauty of the present moment rather than fixate on getting the future picture perfect. I need to continue to do more of this and worry less.

As I keep on letting the Spirit lead the rest of our time here, I look forward to more imperfectly perfect days filled with both the good and the bad, and all the blues of sea and sky in between.

No comments: