Thursday, November 15, 2012

Practising charity

The Gospel past Sunday was on the widow who gave her two mites and Jesus challenges us to examine our own efforts at generosity.

We all know that "to be Christian" we must share our blessings for everything we have comes from God, to be paid forward as a sign of our gratitude.

The Old Testament concept of first fruits and tithing 10 per cent is still a popular way of putting a numeric value on charitable efforts, but it can be a rather narrow definition.

We tend to give based on affiliation and more often than not, out of a sense of duty, or to feel good about ourselves. As Albert Camus said: Too many have dispensed with generosity in order to practise charity.

So when is charity true generosity that comes from the place where there is no fear of loss nor hope of gain (to borrow a phrase from Margaret Silf)? When it is an act of faith that truly professes love of God and neighbour.

Pope Benedict XVI commented in his Sunday Angelus address*, faith and charity and love of God and love of neighbour are inseparable.

He also added that both women, from the stories of the widow from the first Book of Kings and the widow from the Gospel of St. Mark, demonstrated "a great faith in God", even in dire situations.

"From these two biblical episodes, the Holy Father said, 'we can draw a precious teaching about faith. It is about the interior attitude of those who base their lives on God, on his Word, and completely entrust themselves to him.'"

Believing in God's providence is a concept quite alien in today's society where independence is prized. When we do well, we believe we did it on our own, often forgetting it is God who paves the way or steers us away from danger.

It is only when we experience grievous loss or significant hurt, a time of great need, that we then turn to God, and drawing on deeper reserves of faith, allow ourselves to be transformed by God's love. Only then can we move out of immature selfishness and begin to practise gratitude by giving back in love that is not obligatory in nature.

We cannot wait until we are older or retired before we decide to help the disadvantaged among us, as P, my brother's friend, shared with me. It may be just about too late as Doctor Richard Teo** found out.

Having been privileged to experience providence in a very real way, I am always cognizant of giving back, to be the tenth leper who turned back and thanked Jesus after being healed in Luke chapter 17.

So I have a couple of guidelines for myself when it comes to me practising charity.

*   Monetary donations must be in amounts that hurt. If it doesn't cause me to give pause and utter a silent ouch, I am nowhere near the generosity of the widow in Mark's gospel. It is, after all, only money, necessary for subsistence, but it cannot buy happiness, nor should it be my god for my God will provide, as He has done so, a million times over.

*   Time and effort given must involve sacrifice, that is, I have to juggle my schedule and make time for a cause (sometimes even at the opportunity cost of lost income) rather than I do something only because I happen to be at loose ends and it feeds my ego.

*   The poor do not just constitute organizations or formal groups, but whoever is identified as having a need that I can personally address, especially the invisible. Who is my neighbour whom I can love? It could well be the next person I meet.

*   The practice of charity begins at home with kindness, patience, a helping hand and a forgiving heart, every day, not just on special days. It is easy to get caught up with work and life and forget the emotional and spiritual needs of ageing parents/grandparents, focusing only on satisfying their physical or material needs which is insufficient.

*   Go with the flow and keep an open heart and mind for every day presents opportunities for generosity of heart. Be attuned to the world and people you meet. Hear the silent cries of the hurt and lonely around you. This is hardest for me for I am always rushing around and in my impatience, I tend to overlook someone who is in need, focusing only on my own needs.

*   Most important of all, be a cheerful giver. When I start to resent the demands on my time, I have to stop and remind myself it is pointless to give grudgingly and grouchily for it completely cancels out all good intentions.

While I can only aspire to be as faithful as the widows in last Sunday's readings, I am glad for the reminder that faith is an interior attitude that must be lived out in concrete action.

So give generously, from the heart, and with a smile.

*    http://www.zenit.org/article-35938?l=english
**  Read his powerful and moving testimony: http://www.heavenaddress.com/Dr-Richard-Teo-Keng-Siang/424153/379719/content

No comments: