Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saying goodbye

This week, I said goodbye to two colleagues who have become friends and it has been bitter-sweet.

While I know very well that nothing in life lasts forever, it is hard to welcome change when these are people who have brought much joy and laughter into my life, besides having taken care of me so well.

Sure, you will remain friends, and some of my dearest friends are people I have met on the job, but it is not the same.

I also mourn their departure for I feel that something that was truly special to me has ended. Letting go of this will be hard, but at the same time, I am powerless to keep things as they were. It would be futile to try and stop change, detrimental even.

If I cannot stop it, then I must learn to deal with it, much as it unsettles me. First comes the acceptance that change is fundamental to life. Thus the practice of mindfulness is a good one for it helps me not to take for granted the people I know and love on a daily basis. And to give ample thanks for their presence in my life. 

Plus, as Rick said to Ilsa in Casablanca, "We'll always have Paris," and I have memories to last me a lifetime. Even if we were never to meet again, I would carry the love and affection we have shared in my heart, and thinking on that past would always make me smile.

But as I am sure we will meet again, seeing as Singapore is not big, I look forward to creating more great memories in the near future, K and K.

So saying goodbye may not be the worst thing on earth but the inception of great possibilities, a ripening of friendship, as it has been in other workplace friendships that I have. Yet I cannot help but feel some vestigial sadness despite my positive rationalizations.

In all this, the words of Saint Teresa of Avila remind and comfort me best:

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things pass away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
He who has God 
Finds he lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.


K and K, home girls, thank you for having been an integral part of my life this last handful of years, for being part of an "era" I hold dear. And for all the richness and order you have brought to my life, I thank you and I love you ladies. God's grace be upon you both and let's meet up and party soon.

 

No comments: