Sunday, January 22, 2012

New year abundance

I am finally getting into Lunar New Year mode and I am actually enjoying it. Even the spring-cleaning is satisfying although not exactly fun. Friends and baby bro have been converging slowly and it's great to play catch-up.

A huge component of the LNY is cooking and the family gathering around the dining table to finally tuck into the delicious spread after being tantalized by the appetising aromas wafting from the kitchen since early afternoon.

The scents and the tastes of the LNY bring me back to childhood days and powerful memories of my grandmother, and later my father, who prepared the food for the reunion feast so lovingly and painstakingly.

I find the Lunar New Year a great metaphor for life: sweeping out the old and ushering in the new with great pomp and ceremony. It marks the seasons of life clearly and allows one the chance for renewal and to make right what wasn't in the previous year.

It's also about bringing people together, to honour family traditions and the values of filial piety and family unity; a multi-generational celebration of life.

Although the symbolism of the LNY centres around financial prosperity and abundance, it's a good reminder that we should live life with abundance spiritually and emotionally as well.

Today's readings help me walk along the path of abundance.

The first reading is from Jonah and reminds us of the value of repentance as experienced by the inhabitants of Nineveh.

The second is from St. Paul reminding us that time is running out and we need to be mindful of how we live out the time we have been allotted.

And the Gospel is from Mark: an invitation from Jesus to the disciples to be fishers of men.

Repentance is important, for like it or not, we will sin, as long as we are alive. And yet, it is not something we dwell upon much if we can help it.

I used to think it's okay to remain mired in sin for as long as it affords me some happiness, I am willing to bear the consequences when I eventually stood at the pearly gates. I was beyond redemption anyway, so why bother? And of course the longer I stayed away, the harder it was for me to turn around and return to God.

Then I progressed to cutting myself a break when I sinned. "I am not perfect and besides, I will be forgiven for God is all merciful." This attitude encouraged me to  be complacent and not work harder at eradicating a particular weakness or acquiring a certain virtue.

Repentance is not easy for pride makes it hard for us to admit that something is indeed wrong with our behaviour and that change is needed. And even when we know we need to alter our behaviour, we hide behind a host of rationalizations and just park, refusing to get onto the freeway that leads to freedom.

We choose to ignore that time is running out for every day we delay a positive response, it is one more day we deny ourselves the opportunity to live abundantly.

Metanoia, an internal change, repentance is needed. To see with the eyes of the heart. This can only happen when I come clean with Jesus, humble myself and ask for forgiveness. The funny thing is when I am able to do this, I am no longer bound by sin or wallowing in despair and hopelessness; I am given new heart.

New year. New life. It can happen for didn't Jesus say He came so that we may have life and to have it to the full?

I look forward to the promised abundance.      

No comments: