Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Beyond skin deep

I thank God for the gift of JPII and for his magnum opus Theology of the Body.

I thank God for committed men and women who do their utmost to spread the late Pope's wisdom to the masses, breathing life into a message that is so relevant for today's teenager who lives in confusing times.

It was a privilege to listen to Brian Butler last Saturday and understand how Theology of the Body for Teens Discovering God's Plan for Love and Life, a book he co-authored, addresses the needs and wants of young people today in a captivating and ingenious manner.

TOB is all about sex, but it is not sex education. TOB celebrates basic truths about our sexuality, male and female, and offers guidelines to each of us on how to make the most of our lives rooted in our sexual identities as men and women.

It's a premise for finding love and happiness while upholding some of the moral teachings of the Catholic Church.

The teachings on chastity (no premarital sex and chastity within marriage) and contraception (other than natural family planning, contraceptives cannot to be used to prevent conception) are both hard pills to swallow.

Like many, I used to think that this was the Church's way of circumscribing freedom, most unreasonable and ridiculously archaic in the modern world, having not been taught the spirit behind the teachings.

Like many, I left the Church and went my own way for years because I could not reconcile myself to the moral teachings, having bought into the world's ideas on freedom, that is to only do what is pleasing, and not necessarily beneficial, to me, myself and I, not truly understanding the nature of love as a gift.

John Paul II's TOB offers a deeper understanding of the moral teachings on chastity, the sacrament of marriage and celibacy that is more than palatable for it seeks to "untwist" our egocentric ideas on love and encourages us celebrate the "spousal meaning" of our bodies.

In understanding what and who I was created for, where I come from and who I am, as a woman, an embodied soul, I am able to see the sense, beauty and goodness in the Church's moral teachings and embrace the teachings, even though that embrace is not an easy one all the time.

As they say, nothing good comes easy. But, it definitely is more rewarding.

What I mean by this is I used to be motivated out of fear and a legalistic understanding of sin, thus I used to feel oppressed by the weight of the laws/moral teachings.

I would constantly fail as my heart was not in keeping the law and I even told myself I would accept going to hell because of my sins, not realizing I was already experiencing hell as my life was devoid of God and His love and, I was unhappy.

When I first experienced Christ's unconditional, affirming and extremely tender love for me, I was awed and could not help but love Him back. Out of love for Him, I only wanted to please Him, to give back a measure of what I have received.

He is the lover of my dreams, much like the bridegroom in Song of Songs. "I am my beloved's, and his desire is for me."

In this living, spousal relationship with Jesus, my restless heart rests in Him"* and I am no longer held captive by the law for I seek to do what is good purely out of love. I am liberated and empowered by this love.

With the law written into my heart (Jer 31:33), I no longer feel burdened, even when temptation strikes for I stand firm in my identity as a woman who is loved greatly and I will not jeopardize that love for all the tea in China, India and Japan put together.

BB said something I really liked and I think applies to every relationship we have in life and not just BGRs:

If in a relationship, we do not desire what is good for the other, but can only desire what is good for us, then we may want to consider ending that relationship, even if marriage was on the cards. Using others for our own gratification is not love.

Love, life, there are no easy answers, but God sends us prophets every day to help us, while I am doubly blessed to have, as well, the wisdom of the Bible, Church Tradition (and Moral Teaching) and the Sacraments.

To anchor me safely in my skin and keep me pure of heart.  

* A reference from St. Augustine's Confessions:
http://www.catholicradiodramas.com/Saints_Works_Augustine/augustine_our_heart_is_restless_until_it_rests_in_you.htm

No comments: