Sunday, August 15, 2010

Brotherly perspective

My baby bro is back for a visit and it's been good hanging out with him to see how his choice of vocation and location have shaped his belief system and personality.

C. lives in Taichung, a Taiwanese city with a very laid back vibe. He loves it there and it looks as if he will stay a while yet.

Singapore holds no attraction for him for he is not enamoured of its sophisticated city living and widespread material-driven superficiality.

During this trip, he has encountered kiasu kiasi* Singaporeans who would not lift a finger to help him as it did not benefit them financially and an almost belligerent "everyone's out to get me" attitude towards strangers.

Used to hardworking, friendly Taiwanese with no other agenda that a native curiosity to get better acquainted, he was put off by their rude and ungracious behaviour.

I have to admit I have been brought up to treat all strangers with caution. And growing up in a rather sheltered and insular environment did not help at all.

Hence I have been accused of being unfriendly and dao** when what I really was was reserved and socially inept.

What has changed for me in recent years is due in part to my W2W community. It is truly here that I have had the opportunity to rub shoulders, on a regular basis, and consequently bond with a group of women who come from diverse walks and stages of life.

Within this serendipitous sorority, I have learnt to communicate my thoughts and feelings, my strengths and weaknesses; to share my faith walk with its ups and downs - something that does not come naturally to me, the uber introvert that I am.      

Combined with a sustained effort to "love my neighbour", I find myself nurturing an increased respect for the dignity of every person I meet.

More and more I can look at another person and see God's image in him or her, regardless of race, age, religion, beliefs, culture and (the state of) my relationship with that person, withholding judgement when differences or divisions are uncovered.

It isn't easy to overcome my prejudices and innate reserve, but having role models like C. help.

I admire his natural friendliness and openness, his genuine love of humanity.

I like how he challenges me to look at things, at people, from new perspectives.     

I will miss him when he leaves next Monday.



* Hokkien for afraid of losing (out), afraid of death (or getting involved)
** Arrogant or standoffish

No comments: