Friday, August 14, 2009

Living on the edge

When I think of living on the edge, I usually think of it as being in a high risk situation that will set me up for a fall, and it's not exactly a place I want to be for I like being comfortable, and safe.

I was challenged this week to think of it as a a place where God wants me to be. Pia and Stefan Attard were here from Malta to run a six-day retreat called Roots and Wings (August 6th - 11th) that encouraged participants to acknowledge and take responsibility for their history, thereby allowing them to fly on wings of grace.

It was a litle like Pastoral Counselling School which I attended in 2003. So it was familiar, and yet, new insights bubbled up and I am able to see with more clarity what I should be doing and what blocks my path.

Talk about sitting on the hard edge of my reality.

But coming to the edge is not enough, just as knowing what I have to do and not yet doing it is not enough. I must now act, in order to grow and come closer to my vocation and to my true self, the self I was created to be.

It is timely that I stumbled on this paragraph I must've copied from a book I read that really inspired me and I want to share it with you (afraid I did not note who wrote this or where I read this):

"There is no room in Christianity for mediocrity. Sloth is a sin, apathetically doing nothing when something needs to be done.

"Fear is paralyzed procrastination over unholiness and unhealthy mental attitudes, that is used as a weapon to keep us from experiencing and enjoying the love and purpose that God has for each of us."

So while I fear the edge experience, I know that as long as I am focused on doing what the Father wants, His will, I cannot go wrong.
And I will soar__
...if I but step off the edge.

1 comment:

KCK said...

Sets me thinking....about my fears, how they paralyzed me....