Monday, January 26, 2009

Balancing act

Today is the first day of the Lunar New Year and I finally have some quiet time. It's been a busy time spring cleaning, shopping for all manner of food and having branches of the extended family over for lunch today.

Many thanks to my sis-in-law W., cousin A., Lynn and my brothers who helped out with prepwork, and cousin J. who helped with the wash up - couldn't have done it without them. Why is it that every year I forget how much work it all entails?

I am quite pleased with how the dishes turned out despite my forgetfulness (only remembered ingredients midway of a stir-fry). Well, I did pray that Dad would be there in spirit guiding me - after all, cooking for the family is my way of paying him homage.

This hospitality, or as the Hawaiians call it, the spirit of aloha, is one that I value more as I get older. There is a sense of joy in being able to make someone feel welcome and sitting down together to good food and conversation.

As I scurried around, I reminded myself to keep focusing on "the one thing", unlike Martha who was so intent on serving that she was upset with her sister Mary for not helping out, and was eventually reminded to choose the "better part".

There will always be a tension between being able to do everything (perfectly) and finding the time to focus on Jesus and his availability to the people around Him.

Given my perfectionistic streak, I have a tendency to disregard the human element in getting a task done right, often sacrificing graciousness in the process.

I'm glad I was not so manic this new year, that I was able to let certain things go, and most importantly, that I was able to give thanks and enjoy the bounty and the fellowship that has been provided by my Maker.

No comments: